AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Come ON, People...

I don't understand why people make little things so hard to accomplish.

Here is what I had to deal with at the school this week:

Teresa is allergic to certain foods: milk, pineapple, and red food dye #40

This means that pretty much any beverage they offer her at school is one that she can't drink.

At the beginning of the school year, I talked to the cafeteria people (same way I did in Hawaii) about this and asked if they could provide her with a cup to get water.

Sure, no problem.

Apparently, it WAS a problem. Apparently, the cafeteria could never get their act together to get the cups. So, the nurse and one of the cafeteria workers decided the easiest course of action would be for THEM to provide the cups. While EXTREMELY generous, this didn't really solve the problem.

Now there is a new cafeteria manager. She will no longer allow the nurse and the worker to supply cups. The problem became that they were allowing any kid that WANTED water to have a cup.

That's a whole different problem. There is a difference between WANT and NEED.

So, I went to talk to the cafeteria manager. I explained that I understood that it was becoming a problem for all the kids to take a glass and I understood why they couldn't let that go on any more. However, that still doesn't address the fact that Teresa NEEDS a cup.

Nope, no cup. "Sorry, my hands are tied. Go talk to my boss at the school board."

Good thing the school board building is across the street from the elementary school!

So, I marched myself in to the school board to talk to the head of food services for the whole district. The principal of the school had told me not to waste my breath...but I thought I'd give him a chance...

When I told him what was going on, he said 2 things:

1) he had no idea this was going on and

2) "This is a non-issue. I'll bring a cup over for her today."

The principal told me that she is going to send me EVERY time they have an issue with the cafeteria!

Come on, people...IT'S A CUP!!!


Speaking of cup...here is a funny conversation:

Players
Mom
Alan

Setting
Living room

ACTION


Alan: Mom, can you spell I-cup?
Mom: Yes
Alan: Spell it
Mom: I T
Alan: No, really spell I-cup...
Mom: I C U P
Alan: fell out of chair onto floor laughing

Gotta love 8-year-old-boy humor!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Becky. Don't know why things like this get so complicated. I think the school met their match. Love, Oma and Opa

Amy said...

Gotta love it Becky! Stephen's version was, "Mom, say lettuce and spell cup." Me - lettuce C U P. Stephen - on the floor laughing. Come to think of it, he was about 8! LOL

MONTE said...

Actually, it's pretty good humor for my 42 year old, too.