AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Funny conversation with my father

I just thought I'd share a conversation I had with my father while he was visiting.

Players

Me
Dad

Setting

Kitchen. I'm preparing dinner: homemade enchiladas.

Action

Me: Hey, Dad. Can you open a beer for me. I need it for a recipe.
Dad: Sure (opens fridge) But you don't have any beer.
Me: There's some on the top shelf.
Dad: That's ale.
Me: What?
Dad: That's ale.
Me: OK, can you open it for me?
Dad: You only have ale. You said you wanted beer.
Me: Uh...ok, I guess I'll use water.
Dad: I guess you can use this ale...
Me: ???

Enchiladas

16 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
3/4 c BEER (or ALE or WATER or WHATEVER)
1 can beef broth
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried pepper flakes
1/2 tsp of each of the following: garlic powder, paprika, dried oregano, salt, black pepper
0 to 10 drops hot sauce

whisk together all ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes.

The way I make enchiladas: brown 1 package of ground turkey. Drain and add 1 cup (or so) of sauce + a big handful mexican shredded cheese. Stir to combine. Spoon 1/4 c sauce into the bottom of a large greased casserole dish. Spoon ground meat mixture into wheat tortillas and roll up. Put seam side down into dish. Repeat until meat is used up. Top with more sauce and grated cheese. Heat in 350 oven until bubbly.

YUM-O

5 comments:

nanapapava said...

Thanks for the good morning laugh and the recipe.
Nana

nanapapava said...

...the ale was better in the recipe than using beer.

Papa

Anonymous said...

great - now I'm hungry =)

Funny post.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Becky,

Yum! I am always looking for new recipes and I know you are famous for these enchiladas. One question, How many enchiladas does it usually make?

Elizabeth

Becky said...

I'd say a dozen. But, you could be more or less generous with the scoop of meat in to the tortilla. Or double the meat and have lots of left overs. Either way, you have lots of sauce.

Aloha!