AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Jim said, "You're the one who bought the tickets!"

A few weeks ago, I was waiting out side Block Arena for the aerobics room to open up for the Rep Reebok Class I take with a lot of my neighbor-friends. There was another gal waiting so we started talking. She said the week before she had gone to Molokai with some friends and hiked down to the Leprosy Colony. We were talking about it from the fitness stand point...

I told my neighbors about it and we all agreed that it sounded really cool. The gals in the neighborhood are all on a "fitness" kick right now. I just go to the rep reebok class twice a week + hula. Most of the other gals go to that class + kick-boxing on Monday, step on Wednesday and yoga on Friday. (Elizabeth, if you're wondering: Sandra and Paige and Tammy and sometimes Lynette)

The hike is almost 3 miles one way with a 1700 ft elevation change.

I can walk 3 miles. The "crater" is 3 miles...I've done that.

I talked to some other people who have done it and they said "Yes, it was hard, but everyone did it..."

So, we decided we'd go. With the price of interisland tickets set to sky rocket with the close of Aloha Airlines, we looked at the calendar and picked a day: 29 April. A Tuesday. The guys would have to get the kids off in the morning and come home early to take care of them after school.

Check.

So, I bought the tickets: 6 of them. Me, Sandra, Claudia, Julea B., Lynette and our new neighbor, Donna S.

Then, Sandra sent this picture:


See the zig-zag line?

THAT's the hike...

Stay tuned...

7 comments:

nanapapava said...

Ahhh! I am going to have to send Cathie and Randy the link. You are sure your shoes are good? Bring your Naproxen!!!
So, you are just going for the day ? Not staying the night? That's wild!
Nana

Anonymous said...

Becky,

You guys will do great! And just keep thinking while you are hiking that this will be a great story someday!!!
It could be worse you could be going down on donkey back. Yikes!
Tell everyone I said Good Luck and Have Fun!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

WOW! That looks fierce - but I know you can do it and, like Elizabeth said, I know it will make for a great story!!! What beautiful scenery, too!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Anonymous said...

The above post was from Ellen ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi...

Climbing Mt. Everest is only 2.2 miles from the base camp...it's just straight up!!!

See: http://www.ehow.com/how_17485_climb-mount-everest.html

Don't forget your oxygen bottles :)

Love, Papa

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeeekkkkkkkk

Aunt Susan

Anonymous said...

You have our vote of confidence! Good Luck and Enjoy! Love Oma and Opa