AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wildlife galore!

There is TONS of wildlife here at our new house. Our street only has houses on one side of the street. Across the street is a big grassy area, another street, then a park with a wooded area on the other side. There are mammals and birds and tons of squirrels.

There are tons of nut trees around. Every time you walk outside, you can hear the squirrel's teeth grinding on the shells to break them open. Each tree seems to house one squirrel. I know that sounds weird, but I've watch them.

Today I'll tell you about the squirrel that lives in the tree in front of our house. Alan has named him: Mister Squirrel. (pronounced ME-sta in a long drawn out voice) We know it's the same squirrel every time because he has a dark patch of fur under his mouth.

It's been very HOT here in Oklahoma. Here is a picture of Mister Squirrel drinking water that collected on our sidewalk while I was watering the lawn. Notice how he used his tail like an umbrella! It was hilarious!


And here he was yesterday when I went out to wait for the kids to get home from school. I swear: he didn't move for an HOUR. It was over 100...too hot for even a squirrel!!


When I went out to water around 5pm, he HAD moved, but just to turn around. Poor squirrel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky,

Beware of that cute squirrel! Our neighborhood has tons of squirrels as well. Our first winter here in NJ a few squirrels decided to nest in the engines of our cars. Paul realized there was a problem when his radio didn't work and he couldn't drive over 30 mph! They ate through wires in the engine compartment while building a huge twig and leaf nest. In my car they built a nest everyday for a month or so. Everday I would clean out the leaves and twigs, only for them to rebuild. We tried everything to get rid of them including mothballs in a stocking tied to the engine. We finally got a trap laced with peanut butter. We caught a peanut butter covered squirrel and Paul quickly relocated him to Philly! Thankfully we have had no more problems.

Just thought I would share that with you as I looked at your photos. Reminded of our $350 engine repair!

Have a great day,
Elizabeth

Becky said...

NO WAY.

OH MY GOSH!!! WOW...

nanapapava said...

But ...... just look at Meeester Squirrel! He was so hot he couldn't move (except to urn around). Those pictures are a riot!!
And the one in the water.....I thoght it was some Oklahmoa-specific species until I read that it was Meeester Squirrel with his tail fanned out.....omg!!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh Becky....Mr. Squirrel is sooooooooo cute!!! And your photography is wonderful! I just love this. Aunt Susan