AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin Patch 2009?

Since it's almost Halloween, we decided today that we should find some pumpkins. I took the kids to the commissary the other day and they descended upon the decrepit looking pumpkins there complaining that we didn't have any to carve yet.

Unfortunately, the pumpkin patches here in Oklahoma are FAR away. Ever since we returned to the US from Germany in 2001, we have been to the pumpkin patch. Even in HAWAII there was a pumpkin patch!!! Instead of going to the Commissary for pumpkins, I thought we could go to the Lawton Farmers Market and buy some there.

When we arrived, after going around the block a couple times because we couldn't see the "crowds of people at the farmers market," we realized that THIS is what the farmer's market consisted of:

four guys selling pecans out of their pick-up trucks.

PLAN B:

As many of you know, I lived in Lawton from 1980-1986. I remember certain places...usually once I arrive. (hey, I've been here!) One CLEAR memory I have is of THIS flea market:


So this is where we acquired our pumpkins for 2009. Of course, Teresa and Alan had to pick out the biggest and ugliest pumpkins he had! The only good thing: the price! We have paid much more for smaller pumpkins in the past...

Stay tuned for carved pumpkin pictures!

Bonus picture:

The family that lived in this house must have planted their mums every year...and now we are reaping the benefits!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I like the new design...can't wait to see what the kids can do to make those pumpkins masterpieces!

Terri Steffes said...

How are you!! I miss seeing you on JUG.

The pumpkins are PERFECT for halloween!

Nicki Meier said...

Woohoo!! OKLAHOMA IS IN THE HOUSE!! :)
Lovin' the new blog! Looks FABULOUS dahling!
I love that the kids picked the ugly pumpkins, don't ugly pumpkins deserve to be loved too?? Cracked up at the one Alan is holding.
So great talking the other day...reminded me of why I love ya so!!
I have nicki's teachers email....will send it to you later.
Chat soon...
me

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

As always your pics are delightful!

Your new home looks wonderful all decked out in mums. The pumpkins will only add to the fun.

When I heard of Fr. Damien's canonization, you were the FIRST person I thought of. Actually you were the only person I thought of!

Janet

The Mujahid's said...

your yard looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Becky,

Love all the pictures. Too funny, pumpkins from a flea market! Oh, the stories your children will tell someday! The house does look really nice.

Elizabeth