AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

And then I said, "I feel a blog coming on..."

Nana recently came to visit us. Nana is good about visiting us no matter where we live. She usually stays for a couple weeks and we have fun doing laundry, cleaning out closets...I mean, seeing the local sights!

When we lived in Germany, we went to Christkindlemarts, the Nurnberg zoo, Switzerland, Poland...you know, the local sights...

In Hawaii we went to Sea Life Park, hiking, beach hopping, snorkeling...again, average local sights.

So, when she visited HERE...in OKLAHOMA, we decided to again see the local sights.

Wichita Falls, TX is only an hour from here and we've never been. When Jim and I were discussing nearby cities, he asked me, "Is there a FALLS in Wichita Falls?"

??? I have no idea...

When we were discussing where we were going to go with Nana, Wichita Falls came up as an option. I said, "Jim was wondering if there was a FALLS in Wichita Falls." Nana, being the Internet queen, jumps on the web and discovers that INDEED there WAS a "falls." However, it was washed away over 100 years ago during a flood.

Too bad, you say. No more FALLS in Wichita Falls.

You'd be WRONG!

In the 80's, the city BUILT a FALLS! (probably because they got sick of people saying "Hey! Which way to the FALLS?!?")

So we jumped in the car and decided to check out the city for ourselves.

And this is what we found:


Wait.

There's something missing...

I can't put my finger on it...

huh...

oh...

what was that?

there is supposed to be WATER falling over that cement?

Interesting.

The "falls" are visible from the highway (no need to stop anywhere) but we DID walk through the park (very nice actually)

All was not lost though!

I had read about what to do if you had a whole day to spend in Wichita Falls:

You can shop at the local antique shops:

And you HAD to try out the BBQ at the Branding Iron:


INSERT POPPING EYES HERE

Instead, we took our chances at the MALL. And the Mexican food was actually pretty good:

The one bright spot was finding the "River Bend Nature Center" It was really great. They have a huge conservatory with butterflies and a hummingbird and quails roaming free.


So, if you are ever in Wichita Falls, don't miss the nature center, but you can view the FALLS from your car....if they are on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny Becky! I haven't looked at your blog in months...now that I have facebook to look at!!! Keep trying, I'm sure you will find more interesting spots!

Anonymous said...

That was me Becky...Elizabeth