AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

PECANSICLES

I feel bad for the wild life. Every time I'm outside and I hear trees and limbs falling in the wildlife area across the street, I worry about the deer and hawks. In our own back yard, I'm feeling bad for the squirrels and birds. Because THIS is what they usually eat:

Pecans.
(Just FYI, Jim took this pictures of the pecansicles BEFORE this particular branch ended up in our backyard)

But, as you can see, they are incased in about an inch of ice.

And THIS is what I'm seeing the squirrels doing:
trying to eat the pecansicles:


So, Teresa and I went out into the backyard and sprinkled a bag of pecans we had for the squirrels and birds.

THEY WERE SOOOOO HAPPY!!!





We counted at LEAST 4 bluejays at once. I didn't get a picture of THAT...too bad. And tons of birds and squirrels.

Eat up little squirrels and birdies...you ate all my pecans...

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh poor squirrels and birds! I'm so glad y'all had some unfrozen ones to share. We ended up just getting snow, but it is so cold this morning!

Anonymous said...

Well, Becky, Elizabeth pointed me in your direction. This is quite a sight. Your pictures bring it all home!

We here in MA had a similar event some years ago.....only ours occurred on April 1st thus earning it the nickname of the April Fool storm. Seriously, though, it took a long time to recover from it. We lost a few trees in our yard.

My favorite picture is your kiddos licking the clothesline icicles but I'd rate the pecansicles highly, too!

I so hope things return to normal soon for all you OK folks!

Janet

Terri Steffes said...

I know ice is scary and causes all kind of damage, we had a lot of ice last year and I so remember the lack of electricity... but the pictures are so fun. Love yours!