AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

She kept waiting for me to say "April Fools!"

Last week, I asked Elizabeth if she could help me finish my quilt top. We agreed that Saturday night would be the best time so I invited her and the girls over for dinner.

I recently started receiving Family Fun Magazine (fess up! Who ordered it for me? BTW, I LOVE IT! Thanks!) and there was an article about an April Fool's Dinner. I remembered playing this dinner game when I was a kid.

First, I decided what the menu would be: spaghetti, meatballs, salad, bread, and Elizabeth was bringing dessert. Then, I listed every item separately on tiny pieces of paper, including fork, spoon, knife and cup, and put them folded in a bowl at each place. (I decided we couldn't do without plates since we would be inside.)



The game is to eat dinner in four courses, with four items per course. To decide which item you get, you pick four pieces of paper from your bowl. That's all you get for that course. You might pick: knife, milk, noodles and dessert. Or cup, sauce, carrots and croutons. You have to eat (or not eat) only the items you pick. Once the course is over, all the items you picked are taken away. You can't save your cup for your milk in a later round.

Well, this was very concerning to all involved. Here is a sampling of the questions I received after explaining the rules:

"You mean I might not get butter with my bread?"

"What do you mean I can't have milk with my brownie?"

"We have to eat with our hands???"

"Are you going to say April Fool's soon so I can have a fork?" (said Elizabeth)

The person who had the most fun:

Here he is drinking his milk like a cat. I didn't take a picture of him drinking his sauce from his cup or eating his pat of butter...just the butter...with his spoon.

Elizabeth said she WOULD eat at my house again, as long as there wasn't a theme and I had utensils available...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I did indeed have a very good time. Maybe in Pennsylvania I will make this an annual event. Remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Too, too funny! You took Elizabeth right out of her comfort zone! What a hoot. Tell Alan he makes a good kitty.

So glad you gals are building great memories there at AMR.

Elizabeth's Mom

Anonymous said...

When Jim gets stationed in Abbotsford, BC...will you be my next door neighbor?
ok...maybe they won't send him to Canada...
it was worth a shot.