AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Halau Hula 'O Kana Kapeka Ho'ike

**NOTE**

Open another tab and click on THIS LINK to listen to Teresa's song while looking at this blog!







Sunday was our last hula performance before moving to the land of Oz. Teresa and I were pretty sad.

It went very well, though.

Teresa and I both had fresh flowers, which is always nice. Teresa had orchid lei for her head and neck. I had a half haku (head) lei for each dress.









We have lots of friends in our Hulau.
These girls are all in Girl Scouts with us!
Ashlynn, Teresa, Aminah, Makkah

Here are some more friends:
our babysitter (Mary Fran) and her sister, Sally Ann.

I was in two numbers. The first was "Welina,"
which means "welcome."
We did this song at the competition in September.

Teresa's song was "Hula O Makee" performed by Genoa Keawe, a famous entertainer here in the islands.
She just passed away in February at the age of 89.
Teresa is playing the ipu.

My second number was Palehua by Amy Hanaiali Gilliom.
My neighbor, Lynette, is also in the picture (the last lady)

Aloha!



3 comments:

nanapapava said...

Thanks for the pictures! You all looked beautiful! I love the girl scouts' photo. They look so colorful together.

I'm sure you are sad to do your last performance. Maybe in Kansas you can learn American Indian dance, or try:
Kansas City: Hula Hale O Kiakahi
Debbie Kiakahi Rommel, Phone: 816-452-1186
Nana

Becky said...

yeah, I saw that, too. I don't know. It'll be different...

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictues! Know it must be a little sad to know that was your last performance. You two are so talented, you could start your own Hawaian dance club.....In our area Hollin Halls has a Hawaian dance group that meet weekly and compete. I went once but can't find the time to committ to a weekly activity. Love, Oma