
Nana's last night in town, we decided to check out a restaurant we had heard good things about: T-Rex. Yes, you heard me correctly. A dinosaur themed restaurant.
No...we didn't EAT dinosaur.
We got there a little early for our 5:30 reservation. Yes, you have to MAKE a RESERVATION to eat at the dino restaurant. So, we let the kids play in the interactive area for about 20 minutes.
At 5:30 or so, we went over to the restaurant area and asked to be seated in the "Lava room." They put us right next to a Momma and baby dinosaur. Every few minutes, steam would come out from the "ground" and the dinosaurs would roar to life. It was quite fun.
The waitress came and took our drink orders. She said she would be right back to take our dinner order. We were looking at the menu when another waitress came over and bent down at the top of the table. She said, "We are under a Tornado Warning. You need to evacuate the restaurant in to the back. This way, please."
No...
I'm not kidding.
I jumped up and grabbed my purse. Nana looked at me and said, "Oh, is it time to order?" She was so intent on the menu she didn't hear the waitress. "No, Mom. There is a tornado coming. We have to leave the table."
We grabbed the kids and followed the nice people in to the back. The entire staff was in the back lined up to lead the way to the "safe" area...a hallway between buildings. We grabbed a corner and sat down.

And we waited...

The staff of the restaurant was really great. They kept us well informed. They brought water in to go cups for everyone. All in all...the best experience it could be...After 30 minutes or so, the storm had passed and we were allowed to return to our tables. Our waitress met us there and asked if we wanted to place our dinner order or did we want her to get our drinks. DRINKS. Big ones, please.

The food was good and so where the drinks. Jim's beer came in a glass we called the "holy grail!" After dinner, the kids went back to the interactive area where they uncovered a buried t-rex, panned for gems, played dino video games and toured a gem cave. We didn't leave until 7:30pm.
An interesting end to Nana's visit.
Thanks for coming!!
6 comments:
When we lived in Illinois, the MPs came to our door to evacuate us for a tornado. I replied that I was making a pasta dinner and could not leave it. Emily found her bicycle helmet and went under the dining room table. All was well-and the pasta was fantastic! One of many tornado stories for the Clarks:) Allison
Nana had a good visit -- including the tornado shelter experience :)
Becky,
Another good story! I still tell my Kansas tornado story. It all happened one day when I was driving to work. I was convinced a tornado was chasing me down the road as the warning sirens were going off. I parked my car and ran into the hospital and helped my unit move patients and family into the corriders. After a while we got the all clear signal over the intercom. The next message was "will the owner of a red Toyota Corolla please call the operator", I was convinced my car had been destroyed by the huge tornado that must have been following me. I called the operator and she politely told me, "you left your lights on". I was obviously in a hurry to avoid being taken away to Oz and left my lights on. That's my tornado story! I also have a good earthquake story. Have you heard it?
Elizabeth
Oh mine, I wish I could have seen your face. Well you not missing much here just VOG and humidity.
OK...my eyes are still popped out here and I am thinking to myself, "How do I put them back in!!"
I just CANNOT imagine. I was trying to figure out how the "tornado" theme worked into the dinosaur theme...Then I saw all the people in that hallway!
Definately would take getting used to that kind of stuff...
Come to Canada next...They just say "EH" alot here.
Miss you.
Egad...I have not been up to speed reading your blogs (as I am currently in gypsy mode.)
Eek to the tornado.
Good heavens.
You're in Kansas, Dorothy.
Aunt Susan
Post a Comment