AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Glad to be on Terra Firma

At least I am...

Why didn't anyone tell me there is a TROPICAL CYCLONE in the area??? That made the trip out to the reef VERY HARD. Nana and Papa...remember whale watching? OK, like that, except Teresa took the nap and Alan got sick. Then I got sick because I had to stand up. Though, I must say, we are now firm believers in the power of Ginger!!

Once we got out the reef, it was better. They have a pier that is anchored to the ocean floor that you spend most of the time on, so that wasn't so bad.

You know, I live in Hawaii and do get to snorkel every once in a while. Well, this was WORTH THE TRIP!! Wow! The coral was AMAZING. Actually, there weren't as many fish as I expected, but I did get to see clown fish living in the anemone and giant clams. AND we "hired" (rented) an underwater camera, so we will come home with a disk with all our photo's. I took as many as I possibly could, so hopefully some of them came out ok. I paid extra and went out with a guide past the boundaries to an area with 100% coral coverage. It was amazing. Jim gets a bit tossed around in the waves (which were big) so he stayed on the pier to watch the kids. They went on a semi-sub ride and saw a turtle. Then the kids played in a safe water area and chased fish...and had a blast.

Tomorrow...the Cairns Night Zoo!

1 comment:

nanapapava said...

Woah! I sure do remember whale watching. Motion sickness is the pits. But it sounds like in the end it was really worth it. Glad the kids were in a "safe" area. The Gret Barrier Reef does sound pretty ominous.
Can't wait to hear how the kids like the night zoo!!
Love, Nana