AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Monday, February 02, 2009

RIght of Passage for Military Kids

There are many ups and downs for Military kids:

Down: moving away from friends

Up: moving to a new place and realizing you already know some people from other assignments

Down: Going to a different school each year

Up: Going to a different school each year!

Down: white bedroom walls

Up: New curtains for a new bedroom!

And finally, when you turn 10, you get a MILITARY ID CARD!!!

Though, when Teresa asked Jim and I if that meant she got to carry it, we both said "NO!"

Jinks, hon...you owe me a soda ;)

3 comments:

Amy said...

HI Becky - Please explain the significance of an id card to the non-military girl!!

And I can't believe she's ten!

~ Amy

Becky said...

A military ID card is your key to EVERYTHING on a military installation: getting ON the Post, shopping, health care, EVERYTHING. If you lose it, it's a HUGE pain...you can't do ANYTHING. It's a REALLY big deal.

In fact, I didn't have her ID card yet because we couldn't get an appointment but I had to take her to the health clinic. I had to go to another office to get a form filled out saying that I understood that she was 10 and needed an ID card but that they would go ahead and give her health care on that day. Now, since we have it, I have to bring the card over to the health clinic to show them or they are going to CHARGE me for the visit!

Amy said...

Oh Wow! NOW I understand! Definately don't want it lost!