When I got to the harbor this morning for paddling, the water was SO calm. There was no wind and absolutely no waves. It reminded me of my favorite time of the day at Camp (our family cabins in Maine) : in the morning before the wind kicks up. It was THAT calm on the water.
Paddling in perfectly still water is beautiful! Really easy. There are no sounds except for paddles going in and out of the water. It is so peaceful.
While I was paddling, I was thinking about writing all these beautiful sentiments and how peaceful a blog this would be.
In the boat today was, of course, Elizabeth, in seat number one. Seat number 2 was a woman named Helen. Helen has a very bold personality, but is fun to be around. Number 3 was our friend Sue. Her husband is Jim's old boss. Number 4 seat had the only man that came to paddling today, Ricky. I've never met Ricky before. We usually don't have a lot of men that paddle with us on Monday and Wednesday mornings. Usually if we do have a man, he is just learning. Ricky has obviously paddled for a long time and he is Hawaiian, so I'm not sure why he was there. I was sitting in number 5 and Mary, another recreational paddler, was sitting in number 6. Six seat is the steersman.
After we went straight across the harbor and took a break, it was time to start up again. Mary said, "Ricky! I don't know how to say the starting chant in Hawaiian. Can you call it?"
And Ricky said, "Paddles up. Go!"
Ok, not Hawaiian.
Mary and I were laughing so hard we almost wet our pants...
1 comment:
yes! Even you know!!
Post a Comment