AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Hon, you have always said you wanted to have Katie shaved...

BEFORE


About a month ago, Katie started itching more than normal. (She has wicked allergies: she is on special low-allergen food and has been treated for allergies before.) Every night when I would brush her, I would look for fleas. (She has never had fleas and none of the dogs around here have fleas, but...) I never saw any fleas.

About 2 weeks ago, Katie started itching at her ears really bad. I figured she had ear mites, so I brought her to the vet. The vet searched her for fleas, didn't see any, so she put her on Benadryl for her allergies.

While Ellen and Tony were here, Katie was itching so bad that she chewed off a lot of her hair on her tail and the back of her legs, creating wounds. I was going to take her back in...

AND THEN I FOUND 2 FLEAS!

I called the vet.

She said "But I looked! I didn't see any fleas!"

There was no doubt that fleas were the problem. Katie had such a bad reaction to the 4 or 5 fleas she must have had that the vet put her on Prednisone, Antibiotics AND to be able to bath her to heal her skin (which is VERY flaky right now) twice a week and put on special conditioner:

TOLD ME TO HAVE HER SHAVED


12 comments:

nanapapava said...

Poor Katie...

She looks like an Dingo!

Love, Papa

themumma said...

hilarious!
she looks like a bobble head dog we had in the 70s! hate to laugh at an animal's expense, but it looks like a doctored photo it's so perfectly funny.
-laura

Becky said...

Laura...

Those two things HAVE BEEN SAID BY US!!!

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Becky and Nana

Anonymous said...

Poor Katie!

I hope she doesn't feel too humiliated!

We went through this with a cat once and it's a real bummer. Be sure and bomb the house, too.

Great before/after photos, though.

Go Red Sox!

Janet

Anonymous said...

Becky -
So the fleas were the culprit afterall!!!! None of them hopped the flight back to the mainland with us...Hopefully the shave and wash will help Katie stop being so itchy - poor girl.

She's cute either way though!

Love
Ellen and Tony

Terri Steffes said...

I think she is adorable!

Tim said...

Katie doesn't seem to mind. It looks like it beats the heat!

Anonymous said...

Oh my soul Becky, she's half the dog she used to be!!! :)

Nicki Meier said...

Oh that poor dog!
We are dealing with fleas right now and alls I can say is I FEEL FOR YOU!! No fun at all!
Same as you, we have never had them, and now...the cats, the dog...YUCK!
New carpets are ordered!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Sorry to hear about your fleas!!!
I feel so bad about your haircut, but you still look cute to me.
Love,
Your old neighbor Sarah

Anonymous said...

Katie, You are a cutie with or without fur. In fact you look like you lost about 20 pounds. Wonder if it would work for us.
Stay cool.

Love, Oma and Opa

Nancy R said...

I think you could just call that her 'island style'.