AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wednesday...

In about 10 minutes, I am going to start part of my new workout routine: PADDLING. I have been waiting for a year to start since my kids both were not in full time school last year. So, today is the big day. Yesterday, I went shopping with Elizabeth so she could show me what I needed to bring. Here is the conversation with my mother after that shopping trip. (paraphrased for dramatic intentions)

ME: I went shopping today!

Mom: What did you buy?

ME: I bought padded shorts and workout shorts to go over them.

Mom: pause. laughter. Isn't that going to make your butt look HUGE??? more laughter


I'll write more after the event...

***********************************************************

I'm home from the harbor...Pearl Harbor that is...

That part was REALLY cool. Though, every time I would look around, I would mess up, miss a stroke, or splash Elizabeth. (sorry about that!)

I have paddled many a canoe in my day. I never knew I was doing it all wrong. My lake cousins (Jon, Karen, Tim, David, James, Amy, John, Sarah, Jessica, Melissa, etc...) will remember paddling canoes as kids. We would take out 2 canoes, then someone would yell "RAMMING SPEED!!" Ok: it was like that, but for 1 1/2 hours! And, I learned... quickly...that you DON'T pull with your arms...you pull with your BODY...or else your ARMS WILL FALL OFF!!!

And, I'm sure EVERYONE is wondering about my butt. It's fine. The padded shorts did their job really well. Also, Elizabeth said it was the first time she had ever seen padding on the seats. Glad I was there AFTER someone decided sitting on fiberglass is NOT fun.

With all that said, when our instructor (who Elizabeth said was FAB compared to the guy SHE had the first time) would give us a break, being in Pearl Harbor is AMAZING!! The water was so calm and there was just a little sprinkle of rain. You could see the mountains past Ewa Beach, speckled with light. You could see the mountains in Aiea with rain clouds on their peeks. You could see Ford Island, Mighty Mo, and the fleet. Amazing. Until the rain clouds came OFF the mountains and in to the Harbor. The last 15 minutes, IT WAS POURING!! At that time, I was sitting all the way in the front, blasting our way through the harbor. I couldn't see a thing because all the sun screen I put on was washing in to my eyes along with salt water. But I couldn't wipe my eyes because I was in the front and I set the pace. Good thing I wasn't in charge of STEERING! I totally had my eyes shut.

So, it is my plan to start going to this every Monday and Wednesday. We'll see how it goes. Check back for more updates!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did great on your first time out!
Elizabeth