AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wet and COLD, but a big payoff

It was a great idea: exercise + friends = hike through the mountains.

Tammy thought hiking up the Kuliouou Ridge Trail would be both good exercise and fun. She said it was steep but there was a big payoff: an unbeatable view.

What she didn't count on was the RAIN.

When we finally got to the trailhead, it was a FREEZING 69 degrees. (insert laughter here) We started up the trail, stopping to sign our names on the log...just in case we didn't make it back (YIKES! I could see the headlines "5 Military Moms Missing") We got about 1/4 mile up when the heavens opened, drenching us. We decided that 1) we were C O L D (insert more laughter) 2) there was no view because of the clouds and 3) it was slippery and muddy...so we went back down to the car.

Defeated, we drowned our sorrows in Jamba Juice.

Because this was going to be our exercise for the day, we decided all was not lost. We could climb up Diamond Head. Normally, I don't like going on that hike past 8am because it is so hot. But, if you have been reading along...it was C O L D today. (insert your rolling eyes)

We paid our $5. Parked. And headed up the trail. It was actually pretty nice. Then, again, it started to rain. Actually, I didn't mind the rain so much because it kept me pretty cool. We were there for exercise, remember...we MOVED OUT! The only thing we didn't like...and we all agreed...was that water was dripping off our noses... yuck...

We even ran up the stairs...well, at least the first set...

And, when we got to the top, we finally received our reward:


ALOHA!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Becky you are killing me. I love the hiking group hikes. And that gorgeous photo! Please tell Tammy and Sandra I said Hi!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Oh Becky, how beautiful. What a reward!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great picture. You should enlarge it and frame it.Love Oma and Opa

Anonymous said...

I would sell that to a PR firm in Hawaii - what a perfect shot! Awesome!
Good job on the climb - I remember those stairs from my first visit to Hawaii - they are great excercise!
Ellen, Tony and Nicholas

nanapapava said...

Wow! That could be a postcard. You guys do way different things than most mommy's on the mainland whose kids are in school. Very cool.

Mom

Nancy R said...

Man, if only every workout ended with that kind of reward!

Anonymous said...

Great photo-who brought the pineapple mai tais? Allison

themumma said...

wow!
i'd exercise for that!