AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Priceless?

Teresa is obsessed with the Harry Potter series right now. Since we moved to Kansas, she has read through the 7 books twice and is on her third.

So, it was no surprise to me that she wanted to be Hermione Granger.

Teresa is a lot like Hermione. Not only does she sort of look like her, she loves books and is one of the smartest in her class!

So, I looked online and started thinking about how to make a Hermione Costume. I thought about which Hermione we wanted emulate. I decided on Hermione from the first movie. She's about the same age as Teresa. (and the robe is not lined with another color...which would be easier to sew...)

One thing I couldn't replicate was the scarf. Good thing we know someone who can knit!! Oma did a FANTASTIC job of replicating the scarf. THANK YOU!!!

OK: I could have purchased the costume. On line, it retails for about $22.99. But no, I wanted to make the costume. So, here's the breakdown of my actual costs:

Pattern: $5
Fabric: $18
Gryffindor patch: $3
"Frog" enclosures: $10
New Sewing Machine to replace my broken one: $179
Wand: $10
Shoes: $20
Tights: $5

Total: $250

So, what do you think? Was it worth it???


The knight and the witch dueling!


Hermione and Crookshanks


(BTW: I put a 6 inch hem in the robe. She is wearing this costume for a WHILE!!)

5 comments:

nanapapava said...

Love how she looks! Love how she can be Hermione!

Nana & apa

Anonymous said...

Great Job! She looks fantastic!

Elizabeth

MONTE said...

Awesome outfits! And Oma DID do a great job on the scarf for Hermione!

Looks like fun was had by all.

Anonymous said...

Becky - I love it! You did good Mom!

Amy said...

Great Job Becky! She looks great!