AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Good Luck, Bad Luck

Wednesday can be defined by Good Luck (GL) and Bad Luck (BL)

Wednesday morning, we (Becky, Teresa and Alan) got up and out of the house at a reasonable time (GL) and headed out to Wiamea Falls. The kids wanted to swim at the waterfall one last time.

We got there about 10 minutes after it opened (GL) and were putting sunscreen on at the car when we heard a lady tell someone else that there was no waterfall today and no swimming. (BL)

After weighing our options, we decided to go swimming somewhere else. We have been on that hike before and don't need to pay to do it again if there isn't a waterfall at the end to swim in. So, because it was just the next beach down, we decided to go to Sharks Cove. There was plenty of parking and the tide was really low, so there was lots to see even though we weren't really prepared to be at the beach. (GL)

The kids collected hermit crabs for a while then found a great place to swim and jump off a rock. We ate lunch then the kids made a friend and played and played and played.

After 3 hours, I decided we had been there long enough, so I told the kids we needed to head out. They were "on an expedition," so I went to gather our stuff and told them to head the expedition toward the exit area.

I already had all our stuff in hand when I heard Alan start screaming. (BL) Luckily, the dad of the girl they were playing with was right by the kids. (GL) Alan had put his hand down on a rock to steady himself and put it right on a bee (BL) which was still stuck to his hand when he looked at it to see what happened. He pulled the whole thing out himself.

He didn't cry too long. I also have to point out that this is the third time he has been stung by a bee but the first time it wasn't Alan's fault. The other two times happened after he tried to PAT them. I wish I had taken a picture of his hand: a red dot in the middle of the pruniest hand I have ever seen.

We went to the car and got in. Seconds after I shut the door, it started to POUR! (GL) I'm not talking the usual Hawaiian "liquid sun." I'm talking about mainland pouring. People were running for cover.

On the way home, we all wanted to stop for a snack. Alan and I wanted Dole Whip. (GL) Teresa thought this was unfair (because she is allergic to pineapple) but I pointed out that we had not been to Dole for the past 2 years because of this fact. They didn't have any other flavors (BL) so I agreed to drive her to Coldstone.

Both kids fell asleep on the ride home (GL) and I did not. (GL!)

This is cute: when we got to Coldstone, Teresa woke up immediately (she always woke up if I parked.) She looked at sleeping Alan and said, "It seems a shame to wake him up." So, I let her go in to order her ice cream by herself.

And that was our day...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wednesday was quite a day for all.....can hardly wait to hear what Thursday brings.

Love to all, Oma and Opa

nanapapava said...

Love the good luck, bad luck theme.

Love Shark's cove, too. Seems like good luck. What the heck is a bee doing at the beach? I've never seen bees in beach scenes....

The pictures were great. Dad called the picture of Teresa "museum quality."

Love, Nana

Anonymous said...

Wow - those are great shots of the kids. Ahhhh, Hawaii is so beautiful and your kids are so photogenic!

You've captured great memories!
Ellen, Tony and Nicholas