AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Saturday, June 21, 2008

It must be a defect on the Y Chromosome

Mike, Rob, Mary, Ellen, Mom & Dad C

You might remember that Jim has a beer can collection.

It moves with us every move, just to sit in the same 5 boxes they were in the first time I saw them 14 years ago. They always go in the back of the closet and I say the same thing to the movers every time: "I'll pay you to lose them."


When the movers found them this time, the kids heard me say, "Oh, those boxes contain Jim's beer can collection." Beer can collection? Dad has a beer can collection?

So, Jim opened one box. Alan was all "WOW!"

And then he became a M A N

"Dad," says Alan, walking over to the wall in the living room and gesturing his arms, "What you need to do is put up some shelves so that you can line up all your beer cans!"

Claudia (my friend who has her doctorate in chemistry or something smart like that) was the one who later said, "It must be on the Y Chromosome because I don't think you were the one who taught him THAT."

I will agree, some of the cans are neat. Teresa is holding "Rothenberg Beer" in honor of being born there. Alan is holding one with George Washington and one with the liberty bell. Jim is convinced he could pay for their college education with the collection. I don't know about THAT, but I don't think our living room in Kansas will be big enough for shelves, do you?

PS: the moving man, Chad, said "You're taking pictures of your kids holding beer cans???" And I responded "Well, see, I have this blog and this would be a good entry..."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 boxes?!? I say you let Jim hold on to them, so he can not complain about how many shoes, clothes, books, polish pottery, or other stuff you have! Allison

Anonymous said...

What a riot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A total riot!!!!!!

Aunt Susan

nanapapava said...

I forgot about the beer can collection. And I do think that Alan's shelf idea is sort of what Jim had in mind all along. Didn't he want to make a wall of them?

And, ah, what grandmother wouldn't be proud to see Teresa holding her German birthplace beer can, and Alan holding American historic beer cans??....

Nana

Anonymous said...

How big was Jim's smile when Alan was giving those instructions/suggestions?

At least your kids didn't do their "collect a 100 items" projects with the beer cans, that may have raised some eyebrows! =)

Maybe you can find a Hawaiian can to add to the collection before you fly out???

Ellen, Tony and Nicholas

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for the "Y". It takes a WOLF like Alan to spot the need for some shelves. Opa

Sarah said...

Hmmm. I have some concerns about the safety of that particular home environment.

Look at it this way. I lug no less than 3 guitars and a semi-crappy comic book collection around with me. The price we will pay for peace.

themumma said...

my older cousin chuck had an extensive beer can collection when we were growing up. it was in the basement, on shelves on the walls surrounding the pool table. (exactly like alan's idea!) sometimes your game was in jeopardy because you wanted to pull the cue stick back a bit further, but, well... the precious beer cans were there.

ah, the memories you brought back for me...