Normally when you hear about a "Winter Event on the news, it has to do with snow and ice and no school and icy roads. Here in Hawaii, we have to create our own "Winter Events."Did you know there is an ice skating rink right down the street from our house? Actually, it's funny, but about 4 people on our street take skating lessons on a regular basis YEAR 'ROUND. (one of them is on a hockey team!)
So, on the 8th, Jim's birthday, I took the Brownies ice skating for a "winter event."

It is hard to get motivated to get dressed for an ice skating rink when it is 80 degrees outside. I started by pulling out long pants. Last year, Nana bought the kids long pants because we went to Virginia during winter. Turns out we didn't really need long pants (read about last year HERE) because we brought Hawaiian Christmas weather with us to the East Coast. But, my kids always like to be nice and toasty, so they have worn them a couple of times. Notice that Alan's pants are a little short... I never notice he has grown until he has to wear long pants.
Though Jim and I left our winter coats in Virginia, we did bring the children's coats with us. Alan is wearing Teresa's old coat. Teresa is wearing a coat passed down from cousin Deanna. Winter coats will probably be on our shopping list for next year.

I actually do have our bin of hats/scarves/mittens, but none of the mittens worked out, so we had to buy new ones. Funny purchase in Hawaii.
The kids did really good on the ice. This is Alan's second time and Teresa's third. (The first time they went skating was when we visited our friends in Switzerland.) Alan mostly skated with the walker. Teresa started out on the walker, but did excellent when I took her hand and skated with her out in the open part of the ice. It will be interesting to see how they do once we get back to the mainland US.
Maybe next year!
Aloha!
4 comments:
We can't believe the pictures made it look cold in Hawaii! And I don't remember ever having those walkers - how cool!
Looks like it was a lot of fun!
Uncle Tony and Aunt Ellen
I think even Oma could skate if she had those walkers. What fun!Love Oma and Opa
Great fun! And, it looks like Virginia will be snow-free for Christmas again, so the Hawaii grandkids won't be missing anything by being in Hawaii this year.
Nana
Becky,
Too cute!
We have been busy purchasing coats, snow pants, mittens, scarves and hats. Meagan refuses to bundle up, I guess it is a middle school thing. Sarah can't get enough stuff on, she likes to be warm. And Ellie just wants to look like her friends! Hawaii attire was easier.
Elizabeth
Post a Comment