AL-O-HA

from Oklahoma!!!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Down on the farm!

We had a FABULOUS time on Friday visiting our Canadian friends on their Dairy Farm!

One of the first things the kids did (after being shown Nikki and Joe's rooms!) was collect the eggs from the chickens. Teresa barged right in and started picking them up. Alan was a little more apprehensive. When told to just move the chicken and grab the eggs from under her, he said, "I think I'll just grab these ones over here!"

Teresa and Alan had a great time visiting all the animals. Teresa learned quickly how to climb the fence to go in to the pen with the new calves. This one, that she named "Science," still had it's umbilical cord attached! I don't think Nikki and Joe regularly name the calves, because they sell off the males and put the females in with the rest of the herd.(300!) Science is a male, so he won't be on the farm for long...


Tony gave Jim and I a tour of the "milking parlor." They milk 8 cows at once on each side. The floor where Tony and Jim are standing is about 4 feet lower than where the cows are standing so they can reach under the cows very ergonomically (hows that for a big word!) The cows are so used to it...they just walk in and scoot their hind ends in to the right place. When they are done and the gate is open, they just walk right out, take a right and go back in to the barn!






One thing promised to Alan was a ride on a tractor! He got to pick which one...and he picked the manuer spreader! Jimi was commenting that when they get together with their farm friends, the men all talk about how far their manuer spreader reaches and things like that. I told her that when Army men get together, they talk about convoys and deployments...men are all the same!




After the tractor ride, we had dessert! Jimi made strawberry pie, with the
help of Ryan. I have GOT to get the recipe. It was awesome!!







Hopefully we can get to the farm again in the future. We had a blast! And it was nice to spend time with such a nice family. The kids played perfectly. Teresa and Alan were little farm children by the end of the day. Joe and Alan spent most of the time riding bikes around the barns...watching out for tractors. Teresa and Nikki went between playing in the house to visiting the farm kitties and calves. They had a wonderful time!! Thanks, friends!!

4 comments:

nanapapava said...

Wow! I'd like some of that pie, too! Your day sounded perfect. What nice friends! What a great trip!

Nana

nanapapava said...

Oh, forgot to say that at our last trip to the local farm, I was able to teach Sawyer to pick out a John Deere. We were in line later at the Home Depot when I tried to figure out what he was saying....."John Deere, John Deer!" (as he pointed to the green lawn tractor). Sounded just like Alan!!!
Nana

Nicki Meier said...

Well, we equally enjoyed the visit!! It was so GREAT to finally meet you all.
Come on over to my blog and see some more pictures, I finally got them up.
Hope the rest of your trip goes great...bet you all will have a heck of a time...

Anonymous said...

What an adverture! Loved the chicken/egg story. Glad to read you are back on the Mainland and having a great time. Love, Oma and Opa